May 21st 2020, 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm
Gi, Coach Sadiq
No warm up today
#1 – Failed de la riva because your opponent tried to pass your guard by kneeling down, with their elbow on your knee or on the outside of your knee; you have a sleeve and cross collar grip, with one leg on the outside of your opponent and the other foot resting inside on their opposite hip
- Slightly push your opponent with the foot that is on their hip to make them move
- Kick out your opposite leg straight out to make them move the arm that is on your knee, then move your leg behind their arm then to their upper back; switch your collar grip to the sleeve and the sleeve grip to the back of the knee; your body should be parallel with theirs
- Begin to pull their back down with your leg to act as if you are going to omaplata, to make them stand up
- As they stand up, pull yourself closer so that you can move your knee that is behind their arm to behind their knee
- Then move your other leg over so that your shin is on their butt and kick them forward; as you kick them forward, staple their same side leg with yours (foot on the ground and knee by their butt) and hook their other thigh with your other leg; keep a grip on their pant leg that is trapped by yours to make sure they can’t move
- Sit up slightly to get a double grip on their skirt and then put your knee on the ground as you come back down to release the staple on their leg
- Stay close and pull them onto to you by the skirt so you can take the back; get your choke first and then your hooks
#2 – Failed de la riva because your opponent tried to pass your guard by kneeling down, with their elbow on the inside of your knee; you have a sleeve and cross collar grip, with one leg on the outside of your opponent and the other foot resting inside on their opposite hip
- Scissor sweep your opponent to the side, move the collar grip to the same sleeve as the other grip
- As you fall, flare your outside leg so it doesn’t get caught under your opponent then put it on their neck/chest and pull their arm to you so that their shoulder moves closer to your butt
- Arm bar
- First roll was with one of our new members and I just love her. Sweetest lady ever. She already has her pressure down! Way to go lady. I let her work but let’s be honest, she kept me down on the ground with her magical fountain of pressure.
- Second roll was with one of our female purple belts. I can never pass her guard. It’s like an iron curtain. I had an opportunity for a triangle and my dumb ass didn’t even see it; one of our teammates who wasn’t rolling came over and yelled at me LOL
- Third roll was with one of our kiddos who is a badass. She may be a kid but she is a force to be reckoned with. I’m not afraid to admit that she also kicks my ass every time we roll.
I’m realizing as I write this that I only ever get my ass kicked when I roll. I am sure it is making me stronger but I can’t tell if it’s making my jiu jitsu better or if I’m just one of those teammates who is everyone’s punching bag. My goal for jiu jitsu is self defense, even if it’s just enough to get away from someone when I need to. I’m just waiting for that light bulb to kick on and for my brain to actually remember what I learned and put it to use when I roll.
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
❤ La Lady Valdez