June 3rd 2020, 6:45 pm – 7:50 pm
Gi, Coach Sadiq
- Sweep and pass the guard, starting from side control
Technique: sweep options from half guard
#1 – pendulum sweep from half guard
- You have your opponent in half guard, as they come down to squash you, get under hooks on both arms
- Grip the side of each of their pant legs and bring your knees up
- Move/slightly swing your hips to the same side and then quickly swing your legs back to the other side to sweep them (at the same time, use pant grip on the side that you are going to sweep them with to pull that leg closer to you). The swinging is like a pendulum; the movement creates momentum for you to sweep your opponent
#2 – I don’t remember what this sweep is called and I’m feel like I am not remembering the sweep itself sufficiently… making a mental note to get a refresher on this one.
- You have your opponent in half guard, with your knee one their hip.
- As they come down to squash you, kick your knee out to get it behind them and under hook their arms.
- Grip the belt behind their back with the hand that is opposite of the direction you are going to sweep them.
- Since you are laying flat, you will need to post your free leg behind your butt to help you switch your hips so that they are facing the direction that you want to sweep them in.
- With your free hand (the one on the side that you will be sweeping them), sweep their arm up to disrupt their post and use your posted foot and hips to roll them to the side to sweep them.
- Don’t forget to free your foot so that you do not end up in half guard again!
#3 – Wow, I am on the struggle bus tonight. I don’t remember the name of this sweep either and my memory of this is running into the others.
- You have your opponent in half guard, as they come down to squash you, get under hooks on both arms.
- Reap the leg that was trapped in half guard and grip the pant leg of their opposite leg.
- Pull the pant leg towards you and at the same time, use your hips to sweep them to the side
*** I think I’m going to have to edit the shit out of this post because I feel like my memory is failing me tonight. These sweeps were very similar and they are all blending together in my head. It hurts.
- Rolled with my favorite lady white belt. She has some strong ass legs. She got me in closed guard and I could not fucking break it. My hip bones are sore.
- Rolled with a child again.
- Rolled with a male teammate. I almost wrist locked him but just couldn’t get the right angle. He did catch my elbow a few times from side control. I need to remember to keep my elbows in. #rookie
❤ La Lady Valdez